Monday 14 April 2014

Game of Thrones: The official no spoiler post... because I haven't seen it.

About 18 months ago, I was introduced to the world of Game of Thrones. I got through the first series in one night and then proceeded to watch them a second time with One-And-Only-Daniela on New Year's Eve, seeing in 2013. I got her suitably hooked, as was I, and we both went off to watch the rest of the series.

Unfortunately, this is where our stories part. You see, One-And-Only-Daniela went on, with the rest of the world, to speed through all the episodes and gasp and sigh and laugh and scream out "Did you see that!" with the entire population of Earth. I, on the other hand, got about 4 episodes into Season 2 and, for no reason at all, stopped watching it. 

Don't get me wrong, I totally get what all the hype is about and I'm a massive fan of the show, but for some reason I was unable to bring myself to watch any more. So I didn't. My family insisted on talking about it at every get together, I covered my ears and sang to myself to not give anything away. My brothers are pretty good at the whole 'keeping spoilers away from conversation' tact. One-And-Only-Daniela is not. She has spoilt pretty much every series that we've both watched where she was ahead. Grey's Anatomy was the biggest one. Yes, ladies and gents, I am referring to the particularly intense nail biting end of Series 5 and the open question that was left. I came in to work, after watching that, I gaped and shook my head. One-And-Only-Daniela turned to me and said, in one simple sentence, the entire answer to the open question. She RUINED it for me. I did not speak to her for about a week after that. That was not cool. 

So with that in mind, One-And-Only-Daniela has become a ticking time bomb around me recently. I am all but aware that something immense happens in Game of Thrones Season 3. Although I hadn't watched it for a while, I had every intention to, thus I had to keep One-And-Only-Daniela away from all conversations to do with this particular show. Usually, I get away with it. Usually, we can talk about other things and if there's a hint of Game Of Thrones coming into the conversation, I steer that shizzle away from the topic so fast she wouldn't even realise we were going to talk about it. 

However, last weekend, both One-And-Only-Daniela and No-Nickname-Yet-Tshepiso got onto the topic and, being fully up to date, continued to talk in very obvious clues about possible spoilers. I'm not kidding, I had no idea what they were talking about but I now know loads about what to expect from certain characters. Thing is One-And-Only-Daniela seemed genuinely perplexed when she realised I had cracked the code she was speaking in... mainly because her code was simply the 'instead of saying it, I'll just mime it' technique... not exactly subtle.  

As such, and in the light of the new series starting and everyone now becoming obsessive over it again, I decided the only way I was going to get through watching it without finding anything out was to watch it as soon as possible. So Sunday I sat in my room from 6am to 11pm and marathoned Game Of Thrones hard. I am currently only up to the 5th or 6th episode of Season 3, but I am back in the game in terms of falling in love with it all over again. I've been really reluctant to post this, for fear of anyone being evil and posting a spoiler on here. However, earlier today, someone posted on my facebook page an "I can't believe that..." post about Game Of Thrones that has devastated me more than anything in the world. 

WHY CAN'T YOU UNREAD SOMETHING ONCE YOU'VE READ IT???? WHY????????????????????

I got so close and someone just pulled the rug out from under me and now I know something, I don't want to know this thing. Now that I do know this thing it's left me flat and lifeless. It's not even the thing that One-And-Only-Daniela was hinting at. It was a new thing, and I know it. 

I'm close to caught up. I will go home tonight and watch as many episodes as I can. I will also not go near facebook for a while. I am so angry at the world for knowing this thing. People might say too angry, but I say; look at this in context. Look at how hard I Fan something. Look at how fiction is becoming my life. Not cool people. Not cool. 

I realise that I'm now setting myself up for people to throw spoilers at me in the comments. As such, I shan't be reading anything from the comments until I am caught up. I will get through this without any more nasty reveals. I WILL!

Peace out my lovelies

No comments:

Post a Comment